In normal usage, we tend to use keyboard to input numbers and alphabets in excel,word,notepad or in other application programs. We tend to use primarily, alphabets and numbers in most of the application.
Function keys are the keys which are present at the topline of the keyboard but have ever questioned their uses.Function keys are also called as F keys or Fn keys.They usually contain a minimum of F1 to F12, however might contain to F16 on some keyboards.The working of each key depends on operating systems.
Here are the basic function of function keys in windows operating system
- F1: If you press F1 while in a program. help for that program will open.
- F2: In Windows, this key is commonly used to rename a highlighted icon or file. You can try Alt + Ctrl + F2 and Ctrl + F2 for some more functions.
- F3: Search feature for several programs as well as Microsoft Windows.
- F4: You'll be able to repeat last action performed whereas typing in Microsoft word. You can close all running programs using Alt + F4 key and Ctrl + F4 press for closing all active windows.
- F5: Used as a refresh key in several net browsers and alternative applications.
- F6: This key is used for moving mouse pointer to writing net address at the address bar.
- F7: Commonly the F7 button is used as a spell checker, however this key are often reassigned.
- F8: It can perform several functions, and does not have an assigned Windows default. However, when starting Windows 2000 or Windows XP, holding the F8 key will boot in Safe Mode.
- F9: Opens the measurement in Quark 5.0 .
- F10: It activates the menu bar in several programs.
- F11: It is a full screen route on most of the programs.
- F12: In MS Word we are able to used this key for saving our document and additionally release developer tools window in most of the browsers.
Conclusion: Using function keys are simple and saves time.